Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx

From: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Want to add to contrib.... xmldbx
Date: 2006-01-30 02:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
>> <aol>I also think this would make a great pgfoundry project :)</aol>
>
> Yeah ... unless there's some reason that it needs to be tied to PG
> server releases, it's better to put it on pgfoundry where you can
> have your own release cycle.

I don't need pfoundry, per se' but I was hoping that it could be part of
the core distribution.

My personal feelings are these: I use PHP a lot and I use PostgreSQL a lot
for what I do. PHP plays favorites, they actively promote MySQL even
though it is a bad database in the database sense.

I would like to see PostgreSQL, at least passivly, include niceties for
PHP users. In quaint terms, "show them you care."

On a side note, PostgreSQL is a little too self centric. It is a great
project that doesn't get the credit it deserves and I think that it is
because the project, as a whole, doesn't try to actively court or support
popular applications.

The pgfountry and formally gborg are reat, but unless you actively promote
them people can't find them. There should e a big huge button and/or link
to pgfountry that shows how much is availale to PostgreSQL.