Re: Intermittent Postgres Connection refused Errors (JDBC)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ksrinivas(at)coriendo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intermittent Postgres Connection refused Errors (JDBC)
Date: 2007-05-01 22:51:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Srinivas Kotapally" <ksrinivas(at)coriendo(dot)com> writes:
> I am managing an application that uses the Postgres backend.  Of late we have
> started getting connection refused errors every now and then.  We have not been
> able to identify the cause of this.  Any hints or known bugs that I should be
> aware of?  Thanks for any help extended!

"Connection refused" means it was refused at the kernel level; if the
postmaster had rejected the connection the message would be different.
So you need to be looking for OS-level issues.  Given that you seem to
be running a rather hoary kernel (2.6.9 is a ways back no?), maybe an
update there is indicated.  Firewall problems are a possibility too.