Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-07-26 20:33:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
>>> If you want to secure your system against a superuser()-level
>>> intrusion then you need to secure the unix account, or disable
>>> creation of C-language and other untrusted languages (at least).
>>
>> Very likely --- which is why Magnus' idea of an explicit
>> switch to prevent superuser filesystem access seems
>> attractive to me. It'd have to turn off LOAD and creation of
>> new C functions as well as COPY and the other stuff we discussed.

> So would a patch to do this be accepted for 8.1 even though we are past
> feature freeze?

Given that we don't even have a design for it, I think it's a bit late
for 8.1 :-(.

Both Bruce and I have way more on our plates than we could wish, and the
other committers aren't getting a lot done, so the originally hoped-for
beta date of 1 Aug is looking completely out of reach. So adding yet
more stuff to the queue isn't going to get looked upon with great favor.

> And finally, with something like that in place, would you be fine with
> the file editing functions as they stand (limiting them to the pg
> directories, as I believe it does)?

I'm OK with them even without the directory limitation as long as
there's a way to disable them. However, I fear the whole thing has to
wait for 8.2 at this point.