Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add comments about why errno is

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add comments about why errno is
Date: 2005-12-02 00:37:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> If people would like to see a detailed explanation of the
> interaction between strtol() and errno, a header comment to pg_strtol()
> seems a good place to put it. IMO that is better than copying and
> pasting a cryptic one-line comment to each and every callsite of
> strtol().

Next we'll be copying-and-pasting entire C-library man pages, no doubt.
I think this whole discussion is a waste of electrons, as are the
proposed comments. No one ever asked for extra documentation in the
original coding in pg_atoi, or the other dozen or so places where we
have historically checked the result of strtol. Why do we suddenly
feel it requires extra doc now?