Re: small explain patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches List <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: small explain patch
Date: 2002-05-02 21:42:13
Lists: pgsql-patches
Liam Stewart <liams(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> Attached is a small patch that clarifies EXPLAIN output a little bit.
> Output can be a bit confusing if there are spaces in table and index
> names and aliases so the names in question are surrounded by ' '.

If we do this, we should use double quotes "...".  A double-quoted
string is an identifier, a single-quoted string is a literal; and
it doesn't help anyone for the system's messages to get it backwards.
(I've been intending for awhile to fix all the elog messages that get
this wrong.)

How would you feel about quoting only if necessary
(cf. quote_identifier)?

> Aliases are explicitly labelled.

I think that's just noise.  The explain output is verbose enough without
adding noise words...