RE: failed sanity check, table answers was not found

From: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
To: "'Marek Petlicki'" <marpet(at)buy(dot)pl>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: failed sanity check, table answers was not found
Date: 2001-04-17 15:42:43
Lists: pgsql-general

> I receive this error when trying to pg_dump -s
>
> failed sanity check, table answers was not found
>
> the failed table name varies. All the problematic tables
> seem to work. vacuumdb (-z) also works without any comment.

I had some similar problems with pg_dump on 7.0.3 recently. Tom
Lane was able to give me some very specific things to look at. The error I
was getting was:

> -- dumping out user-defined functions
> failed sanity check, type with oid 101993741 was not found

And Tom told me, "Looks like you have a function that refers to a
since-deleted type. You'll need to find and drop the function (which may
mean manually
deleting its pg_proc row, since there's no way to name the function
to DROP FUNCTION if one of its parameters is a now-unknown type).

Another possibility is that the type still exists but you deleted its
owning user from pg_shadow; that will confuse pg_dump too. In that
case you can just create a new user with the same usesysid, or you can
update the type's typowner field in pg_type to refer to some existing
user.

Try "select * from pg_type where oid = 101993741" to figure out which
situation applies ..."

Don't know if that will help at all. Seems this is usally something where
something references soemthign that doesnt' exist any more, such as a
function that returns a datatyp that no longer exists.