Check if table or View exists

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff(dot)williams(at)hardsoft(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Check if table or View exists
Date: 2008-04-01 01:35:01
Lists: pgsql-general
I am developing an application where I will have a default table and/or
view for a select statement for my application.  If a client has a special
requirement I would like to have a alternate table of the same name in a
different schema with the change structure.

Schema A
   Default table - coretable.foo

Schema B
   Client specific table client.foo

How can I check if a table or alternate view exists in schema B.

ie

if client.foo exists // check for a view or table
  // my code will use client.foo table
else
  // my code will use coretable.foo
endif

Also is it possible to check via function/via in postgress and not have to
rely on my application to do the check.  If so how.