Re: make caught doing what configure should...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make caught doing what configure should...
Date: 2001-03-23 16:47:13
Lists: pgsql-patches

Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net> writes:
>> Besides, I think the warning message is appropriate in any case, since
>> it lets bison-less people know that they had better not blow away gram.c
>> or hack on gram.y.

> Er, not really, it (the warning) gets blown away by all the rest
> of the ./configure output. It might as well error out, not just
> warn, then you can actually see the message.

Erroring out would be completely inappropriate unless we had made an
*accurate* check that gram.c was out of date. I think that's probably
a cure worse than the disease; we risk unnecessary configure failures
to gain, well, not a lot. You're right that configure's output is too
chatty for many people; but isn't there a "--quiet" option? Seems like
that's what they should be using if they don't want to see details.