Re: ODBC Patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "'pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Patch
Date: 2001-02-12 15:19:10
Lists: pgsql-patches
>> problem is that MS VC++ autogenerates resource.h whenever psqlodbc.rc is
>> updated in the IDE. Is it possible to get pgindent to ignore that file or
>> would that cause more problems?

> Sure, we can ignore it, but do we want an MS-generated file to be
> tracked in our CVS, and especially one with // comments?
> If resource.h was included only by MS compilers, that would be better,
> but I see every platform including the file.

Good point.  This will not be buildable on machines whose compilers do
not like //.

> Can you send me that resource.h file again, and I will merge in any
> change made by *.rc, but keep the /* */ comments, OK?

I don't think that's a feasible long-term maintenance approach either.
Will you or Dave remember to do this any time psqlodbc.rc changes?

Seems like the correct answer is for pgindent to automatically transform
"// comment" to "/* comment */".