Re: "make check" improvement for cygwin

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "PG Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "make check" improvement for cygwin
Date: 2003-10-28 00:41:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> The attached patch limits parallelism for "make check" on cygwin to 10 - me=
> aning that at least on my installation "make check" actually succeeds at la=
> st.

If we're going to do something like that, I'd rather see it exposed as a
more general "at most N connections" knob, where the user could choose
N. There are plenty of other scenarios where such a restriction could
be useful --- for instance, "make check" runs up against
max-processes-per-user limits on a number of platforms.

I would also rather that the user be forced to supply that number, to
make certain he realizes that he's got a very low number-of-connections
resource limit. Sweeping such problems under the rug is exactly what
"make check" should not do.