Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-03-28 16:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Both of those things are related to 8.4 feature changes, so we should
>> either do them now or decide we won't do them.

> Well, "Should we have a LOCALE option in CREATE DATABASE?" has to do
> with making:

> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH LOCALE = bar
> equivalent to...
> CREATE DATABASE foo WITH COLLATE = bar, CTYPE = bar

> That might be nice to have, but since it's just syntactic sugar, I
> disagree that it's now or never.

The reason I wanted it considered now is that part of the discussion
was about whether to rename the existing options (add or remove LC_,
I forget which). Once 8.4 is out it'll be too late to reconsider that.

> The second item, "Should we reject toast.fillfactor in reloptions?",
> comes with a patch. I think I agree with ITAGAKI Takahiro that it
> would be better to have reloptions specify a set of RELOPT_KINDs to
> which they pertain rather than a single one.

+1. And this is something it'd be better to get right now than later,
since it's about an API that's meant to be used by add-on modules.