Re: upgrade docs to DocBook V4.1 ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Self <jself(at)greatbridge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: upgrade docs to DocBook V4.1 ?
Date: 2001-05-23 22:07:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

Jeff Self <jself(at)greatbridge(dot)com> writes:
> Great Bridge would like to volunteer our services to the PostgreSQL
> community by upgrading the Community PostgreSQL docs to the latest version
> (V4.1.2) of DocBook.We would like to hear the community's feedback. Is
> this a good idea? Are there any objections?

Unless Thomas has reasons for sticking with DocBook 3.1, the main
objection I can think of is that docs contributors with local sgml-tools
installations would need to update their installations to 4.1.2.
While that seems a good idea in the long run, it might be painful in the
short run. (I still have unpleasant memories of getting the sgml tools
to work at all on my box :-(.) Can you provide people with a recipe for
updating their DocBook installations? How much trouble is it likely
to be? If it's less than trivial, giving plenty of advance notice of
the changeover would be a good idea.

Another reasonable question is what the stability and longevity of the
4.1.2 release is likely to be ...