Re: Adjusting debug_print_plan to be more useful by default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adjusting debug_print_plan to be more useful by default
Date: 2008-08-20 02:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:06:33PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
>> Any thoughts on just making it always print that way and getting rid
>> of the GUC?  Anyone want to argue they'll be turning this off?

> I can vaguely imagine somebody wanting to debug the pretty printer,
> but that's a pretty weak argument.

One other point is backwards compatibility: if there is anyone out there
depending on the current behavior, changing the behavior and then
removing the switch in the same release would be, er, discourteous.

I'd be happy to remove debug_pretty_print in a release or two after
8.4, if no one has squawked about the change...