Re: selecting from cursor

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: selecting from cursor
Date: 2001-07-03 14:02:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
>> And what are you doing with the places that don't care which kind of RTE
>> they are dealing with (which is most of them IIRC)? While you haven't

> They just have things declared as RangeTblEntry *, and as long as they
> don't access type-specific fields, they are fine.

So you have four (soon to be six or seven) different structs that *must*
have the same fields? I don't think that's cleaner than a union ...
at the very least, declare it as structs containing RangeTblEntry,
similar to the way the various Plan node types work (see plannodes.h).

> For scrollable cursors, Rescan should be implemented as 'scroll backwards
> until you can't scroll no more', correct?

No, it should be implemented as Rescan. The portal mechanism needs to
expose the Rescan call for the contained querytree.