Re: surppressing column names in COPY format

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: surppressing column names in COPY format
Date: 2003-07-31 19:18:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> the problem is that I am restoring the data to a database with different
> column names, which errors out in 7.3 (but didn't under 7.2 since it
> didn't produce column names in the COPY output). I checked the docs and
> it provided no clue as to how to suppress column names for COPY only
> dumps.

I think you can still get it to dump as INSERTs without column names.

I don't really agree that we've "lost functionality" here, though ---
you might as well claim that it's a bug that the COPY command forces
you to restore the data into a particular table. If you need to do
data transformation (which includes relabeling columns IMHO), restore
the data into a temp table and then do INSERT ... SELECT ... to massage
it into what you want.