Re: Problem restoring database

From: "Oeschey, Lars (I/EK-142, extern)" <extern(dot)Lars(dot)Oeschey(at)AUDI(dot)DE>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem restoring database
Date: 2008-01-10 15:29:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

> > using pgadmin 1.8 from my client, using the server-made backup:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:
> > unrecognized configuration parameter "standard_conforming_strings"
> > Command was: SET standard_conforming_strings = off;
>
> This one is evidently failing because the backup was made
> with a version
> of pg_dump that's newer than 7.4.x. pg_dump output in general can be
> loaded into a server that's *newer* than the pg_dump, but not
> one that's
> *older*; at least not without doing manual surgery on the dump script
> to get rid of any commands the older server doesn't understand.

this is strange then... because as I mentioned, the backup was (is) made
nightly with the pg_dump that comes with the database. Of course I
understand that there is a downward compatibility, but not an upward.
But this backup was just one of the standard nightly backups.

btw, we solved the problem meanwhile by restoring into a 8.1 DB, even a
8.1 wouldn't work....

Lars