Re: Fix command completion for CREATE TABEL ... AS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix command completion for CREATE TABEL ... AS
Date: 2002-02-22 17:55:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> This patch fixes the response for a CREATE TABLE ... AS statement.

Do we really need the overhead of adding a new parse node type just
to change the command tag returned for a CREATE ... AS?

If your definition of "correct command tag" is "first word of what the
user typed", we could get that more directly and reliably with a little
bit of lexer hacking; we should not base it on the parse tree at all.
But I'm not convinced that this is necessary or appropriate.

On the other hand, maybe you've got some other goal in mind that makes
it worthwhile to have distinct parse representations for SELECT ... INTO
and CREATE ... AS. But please explain what the motivation is for
changing this.