Re: inferred param types for PREPARE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inferred param types for PREPARE
Date: 2006-01-15 22:33:06
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Woops, good point. Attached is a revised patch that doesn't modify the
> grammar, and includes updates to the documentation and regression tests.

BTW, I wonder whether it wouldn't be a better idea to declare the
pg_prepared_statement view's parameter_types column as regtype[]
instead of oid[]. This would make the default output much more
readable, ie you'd get things like '{integer,boolean}' instead of
'{23,16}'. Of course you can cast in either direction to get the
other form, but defaulting to text instead of numeric output seems
like it might be a better choice.

The option of casting to get the other form should probably be mentioned
in the view's documentation page, whichever is the default.