Re: OID assistance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Spiegelberg, Greg" <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OID assistance
Date: 2005-02-18 14:48:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Spiegelberg, Greg" <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com> writes:
> It's come to our attention that in 14-16 days our OID's will wrap around and
> we need some advice.

Are you actually using the OIDs for anything? If not, don't worry about
it.

Unless you are actually depending on OIDs to be unique in some of your
user tables, wraparound shouldn't matter. The only possible bad
consequence is that you might once in a while get a collision in the
system tables (eg, a CREATE TABLE fails because the OID generated for
the table conflicts with an existing table). The odds of that are small
enough that it's probably not going to be as much of a problem as a
dump/reload would be. Just retry the transaction and it'll usually
work the next time.