Re: In 7.4 ensure you have DEFAULT now () with no spaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "David B" <postgresql(at)thegatelys(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In 7.4 ensure you have DEFAULT now () with no spaces
Date: 2004-06-19 18:50:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

> David B wrote:
>> Looking at those tables the create DDL's for those few tables
>> contained now ()
>> as in:
>>
>> created_timestamp timestamp DEFAULT now () -- note the space
>> between now and ()

> Whatever it was, that was not the problem. With 7.4.1:

Nope. I suppose this was a garbled report of the problem with
default 'now'
as opposed to
default now()

The timestamp input parser will take 'now()' and variants on that,
since it basically ignores punctuation. So probably what was really
at stake was
default 'now()'
(wrong because a string literal) versus
default now()