Re: strange row number estimates in pg9.1rc1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: strange row number estimates in pg9.1rc1
Date: 2011-08-30 16:15:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> "Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
>> I'm seeing something weird which looks like a bug in 9.1rc1 after the
>> upgrade 8.4->9.0->9.1 done using pg_upgrade.

> Hm, I wonder what pg_upgrade left relpages/reltuples set to ...

Sure enough, that's the problem. pg_upgrade leaves relpages/reltuples
set to zero, but it also imports the visibility map pages from the old
cluster. If the old visibility map shows the table as all-visible,
then this happens when you try to VACUUM ANALYZE the table:

1. VACUUM doesn't process any pages, so it has no tuple density
estimate. It leaves reltuples set to zero, but it does set relpages.

2. ANALYZE scans some part of the table. It gets a tuple density
estimate for those pages ... but if that's only a small fraction of
the table, it believes the zero estimate of tuple density elsewhere.
So you get only a small update of reltuples.

(The above behavior is new as of commit
b4b6923e03f4d29636a94f6f4cc2f5cf6298b8c8, BTW.)

Basically, step 1 is buggy here: if we aren't making an update to
reltuples, we shouldn't set relpages either. Setting it nonzero
changes the implied tuple density from "unknown" to "known zero",
which is wrong.

I'll go fix that, but I think it might be a good idea for pg_upgrade
to think about preserving the relpages/reltuples columns ...

regards, tom lane

PS: right now, you cannot reproduce this in a 9.0 -> HEAD upgrade,
because of this patch:

commit 00a7c9014a8fbb7388a807daeba3e0a85b49a747
Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Date: Fri Aug 19 11:20:30 2011 -0400

In pg_upgrade, don't copy visibility map files from clusters that did not
have crash-safe visibility maps to clusters that expect crash-safety.

Request from Robert Haas.

I did reproduce it in a 9.0->9.1 test.