Re: additional GCC warning flags

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: additional GCC warning flags
Date: 2004-10-19 18:37:00
Lists: pgsql-patches
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> There's a better solution: use an approach similar to that used in the
> Linux kernel, which echoes only the object name that's currently being
> compiled.

If I'm reading this correctly, it requires replacing every default build
rule with our own hacked-up version.  That's definitely not a recipe for
maintainability, portability, or playing nice with local
customizations... even if I thought the goal was a good idea, which I do
not particularly.  If I'm looking at make output it's generally because
I need to fix a problem; not knowing exactly what's being executed
is not going to improve my life.