Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Lester <joe_lester(at)sweetwater(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files
Date: 2004-08-20 19:43:15
Lists: pgsql-general
Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com> writes:
> Joe Lester <joe_lester(at)sweetwater(dot)com> wrote:
>>> I'm wondering, however, if you have a connection leak instead.  i.e.
>>> is it possible that your client application is opening a whole bunch
>>> of connections and never closing them?
>>
>> No. The clients open only one connection (and hang onto it for dear
>> life  :-).

> If these clients aren't utilizing the database, it might be worthwhile
> to have them disconnect after a period of inactivity, and reconnect when
> things get busy again.

If my theory is right, this would actually be counterproductive.  The
leak I think I'm seeing is associated with backend exit and so the way
to slow it as much as possible is to prolong backend lifetime as much
as possible.  Joe, what is the mean lifetime of your connections anyway?
I assume they don't stay up forever.