Re: Porting to Haiku

From: "Mark Hellegers" <mhellege(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Porting to Haiku
Date: 2013-01-11 22:43:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Mark Hellegers" <mhellege(at)xs4all(dot)nl> writes:
> > - Assuming all patches are applied to get Postgresql running, what
> > does
> > it require to keep it in there? I noticed you removed the BeOS
> > port,
> > because no one was maintaining it. What does it take to maintain a
> > port?
>
> These days, the expectation is that somebody runs a buildfarm member
> on that platform:
> http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/index.html
> You might want to look into whether you can get the buildfarm script
> to run before you go too far.

I will check that this weekend. Thanks.
Does this buildfarm member need to run continuously?

> > - Can I submit patches for smaller parts or do I need to submit all
> > the
> > patches in one go? For example, can I submit the patch for the
> > configure part first and other changes later?
>
> Well, it'd depend on how invasive the earlier patches are. We might
> want to see some evidence that the project will reach completion
> before
> we hack up the code too much.

I just did a quick check of my changes and the changes seem minor. The
only major changes are the port specific parts in src/backend/port.
Postgresql is running. I can login with psql and create a table, insert
data and query it. ODBC access is also working. There does seem to be a
problem with starting autovacuum, which I am still investigating.

> > - I have a problem compiling Postgresql after I installed iodbc.
> > Iodbc
> > also contains a header called sqltypes.h, which the compiler picks
> > up
> > before the one in the ecpg include directory as it is in the
> > general
> > include directory for the system. Is that something someone has
> > seen
> > before and knows what is wrong? It could be some mistake I made in
> > my
> > changes.
>
> Hm, I don't recall this having been reported before. Check the order
> of -I switches in the ecpg makefiles. It certainly sounds like a
> risk
> that we might want to fix independently of any particular port.

I will try to check on that this weekend.
I also found (I think) two places where the implementation of a
function contained slightly different parameters from the declaration
which breaks on Haiku as an int is not the same as int32 (see src/
backend/catalog/dependency.c function deleteOneObject for one of
those).

--
Spangalese for beginners:

`Halley mak ranfuer.'