Re: Counting distinct names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Counting distinct names
Date: 2000-04-20 14:04:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE> writes:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The default location is PREFIX/data; I don't think there is a configure
>> option to change that without setting --prefix.

> That's news to me. There is no default for the data storage location
> anywhere that I can see. You always need to use the -D option or set
> PGDATA in the environment.

Oh, you're right of course. My system behaves like there's a default,
but that's because I have PGDATA set in my .profile ;-)

*Should* there be a default location established by configure?
I think I'd prefer that to having the dependence on an environment var
... but on the other hand we couldn't really remove the envar without
breaking a lot of installations...