Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library
Date: 2008-02-01 05:10:07
Lists: pgsql-docs
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> The point is that will keep that copy online even if
>> decides to shut it down or change it.

> There is a question to the legality of the copy. The legal
> notice of the document states that there must be a valid license for
> the product to copy.

> *IF* we link that document, we need to link to the HP site.

Uh, this is nonsense.  Even if is violating HP's copyright
(a point un-tested at law), we cannot be violating anything by which
URL we choose to point to.

The main problem with using the link as it stands is that it is *highly*
unlikely that it will remain valid for the lifespan of the PG 8.3
documentation (let alone subsequent versions).  I've been dealing with
HP's website for many years and I have good reason to know that page
URLs of the kind that Bruce has chosen to quote do not have long shelf

Personally I would vote for not having the link there at all.  It is not
adding anything very critical to our docs, it is likely to be broken
soon (for some value of soon), and if there is any question about the
legality then that's just frosting on the cake.