Re: ltree installation error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: iuri(dot)sampaio(at)computer(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ltree installation error
Date: 2007-12-20 01:23:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Iuri Sampaio" <iuri(dot)sampaio(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I don;t understand how it's related with postgresql installation. I never
> had this problem before.
> My locale is set:

> debian:~# locale -a
> en_US.utf8
> POSIX

Well, your original report was about this:

FATAL:  invalid value for parameter "lc_messages": "en_CA.UTF-8"

which evidently is not a locale that your system has got.  The
locale -a printout suggests that if it is there, it'd be named
"en_CA.utf8", and it's hard to tell whether your platform would
be forgiving of the spelling difference or not.  In any case,
the question is where Postgres got that setting from.  AFAIK
the only likely explanation is that LANG was set that way when
you ran initdb.

You could try modifying lc_messages in postgresql.conf, but it
might be safer to wipe the database directory and re-initdb
with a corrected LANG setting.