Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: blatantly a bug in the documentation
Date: 2008-11-24 14:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Dave Page wrote:
>> It might also be useful to create such a database at initdb time so
>> newbies have something interesting to look at right away.

> No, there is no need to clutter every installation in the world with
> such a database. You could make it an addon module, or a pgfoundry project.

The whole thing strikes me as extreme overkill, not to mention a
misunderstanding of what an example is supposed to be for. If we're
going to insist that every example in the docs work when
copied-and-pasted into an empty database, then simple and to-the-point
examples will be history. Instead of one-liners we'll have clutter.