Re: [HACKERS] system catalog relation of a table and a serial sequence

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] system catalog relation of a table and a serial sequence
Date: 2001-12-16 04:17:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> | > You might further check that the
> | > apparent sequence name ends with _seq --- if not, it wasn't
> | > generated by SERIAL.
> |
> | Wouldn't you want to include user sequences that are required for
> | using the table? If someone has used their own sequence as the
> | default value for a column it would be nice to have it dumped as well.

> This is my thought as well. Hopefully Tom will concur.

Well, that's why I said "might". I'm not sure what the correct behavior
is here. If we had an actual SERIAL datatype --- that is, we could
unambiguously tell that a given column was SERIAL --- then a case could
be made that "pg_dump -t table" should dump only those sequences
associated with table's SERIAL columns.

I think it'd be a bit surprising if "pg_dump -t table" would dump
sequences declared independently of the table. An example where you'd
likely not be happy with that is if the same sequence is being used to
feed multiple tables.

I agree that dumping all such sequences will often be the desired
behavior, but that doesn't leave me convinced that it's the right
thing to do.

Any comments out there?