Re: error: could not find pg_class tuple for index 2662

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error: could not find pg_class tuple for index 2662
Date: 2011-08-03 15:18:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> writes:
> We have installed the patch and have encountered the error as usual.
> However there is no additional output from the patch. I'm speculating
> that the pg_class scan in ScanPgRelationDetailed() fails to return
> tuples somehow.

Evidently not, if it's not logging anything, but now the question is
why.  One possibility is that for some reason RelationGetNumberOfBlocks
is persistently lying about the file size.  (We've seen kernel bugs
before that resulted in transiently wrong values, so this isn't totally
beyond the realm of possibility.)  Please try the attached patch, which
extends the previous one to add a summary line including the number of
blocks physically scanned by the seqscan.