Re: Cleaning up multiply-defined-symbol warnings on OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cleaning up multiply-defined-symbol warnings on OS X
Date: 2006-04-28 01:36:56
Lists: pgsql-patches

> The problem is that the call to thread.c::pqGetpwuid() happens in a
> #ifndef WIN32 block, so the function is not seen by Win32, so we don't
> get a compile error.

> I am thinking your patch is a good idea because it will give us a
> non-Win32 platform that has the _check_ behavior. We do have to bump
> the major for ecpg libs for this, but not libpq.

I just came across some documentation claiming that it's possible to do
similar exported-symbol filtering in Linux:
http://people.redhat.com/%7edrepper/dsohowto.pdf
I'm going to see if I can make that work along the same lines as my
Darwin patch. If we can get it going on both Linux and Darwin then
I think we'll have critical mass to make the change.