Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]

From: Ian Linwood <ian(at)dinwoodie(dot)freeuk(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date: 2003-06-09 22:22:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello Jan,

Friday, June 6, 2003, 9:12:24 PM, you wrote:

> I think Open Source means more than that. It means especially Open for
> ideas, open for input. Open for people and companies to join the team,
> contribute and take part in the decision making. That all is totally
> impossible in the MySQL project. Not because it could not be done, but
> because the owner of the commercial product MySQL does not want it to
> happen.

Although this is an entirely valid opinion. I don't 100% agree with
this point of view.

Just because a project is open source (OS), doesn't mean that all and
sundry should have an input.

OS projects should be open to offers of contribution, but projects should
reserve the right to reject that contribution.

This seems, IMO, to be a plague in OS development. I clique of
developers (regardless of how talented) or an individual, completely
wrecks a project because they want to ensure their ideas are adopted.

OS projects and closed source projects (or any other project for
this matter) needs clear leadership, with someone willing to say yes
or NO.

Open source development is littered with shouting matches leading to
forks, and general fcuk ups. This sometimes works for the better,
unfortunately, most times it doesn't.

I'm painting a pretty black picture and possibly giving you the opinion
that I do not approve of OS development...nothing could be further from
the truth. But I do think we need to get away from the *revisionism*
((c)Mao Tse-tung) that you seem to have fallen into.

Please do not take offence at any comment I make - none are intended.
Things are starting to get interesting... ;-)

--
Best regards,
Ian