stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: stats for failed transactions (was Re: [GENERAL] VACUUM Question)
Date: 2006-01-27 14:26:48
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
>> Also, somebody made a real good point about rolled-back insertions.
>> Even if the only command you ever apply to the table is INSERT, you
>> could still have dead rows in the table if some of those transactions
>> occasionally roll back.

> hmm... That's true.  I don't think autovacuum doesn't anything to account
> for the concept of rolledback inserts.

I think this is the fault of the stats system design.  AFAICT from a
quick look at the code, inserted/updated/deleted tuples are reported
to the collector in the same way regardless of whether the sending
transaction committed or rolled back.  I think this is unquestionably
a bug, at least for autovacuum's purposes --- though it might be OK
for the original intent of the stats system, which was simply to track
activity levels.

Any thoughts about how it ought to work?