Re: Another notify question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)dynworks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another notify question
Date: 2002-03-25 07:49:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Jeff Davis <list-pgsql-general(at)dynworks(dot)com> writes:
> The discussion about implementation has lead me to the following question:
> What should I be sure that notify will do? Tom seems to think that delivery
> of a notification should not be guarenteed (if I understand what he is
> saying), which is fine with me.

Well, I definitely wasn't advocating that. IMHO you should be
guaranteed the delivery of *some* notification, but possibly one
containing less information than what was sent. Or you might get
a notification when in fact none was sent. This should be okay
for ordinary uses of NOTIFY, as long as such cases are infrequent
(so that you don't waste many cycles checking for events that
didn't happen).