Re: Abnormal termination of PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bill Thoen <bthoen(at)gisnet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Abnormal termination of PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-06-22 22:47:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Bill Thoen <bthoen(at)gisnet(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 02:17:47PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Can you reproduce the problem if you import the same data into a new
>> table?

> Arrg! Looks like the first load was corrupted as you suspected.. When I
> tried it a second time, it seems to have worked just fine.

Hmm.  Unless you have reason to think that your hardware is flaky,
I dislike writing this off as "just a glitch".  I think most likely
you got bit by a bug somewhere.  Still, if we can't reproduce it
it's gonna be mighty hard to find.

If you have the time and interest, it might be worth repeating the
whole setup sequence starting from initdb.  I'm speculating that
installing PostGIS might have somehow left corruption in server memory
that later manifested as the visible problem.