Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>,Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-19 04:09:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com> writes:
> IMO, it is likely to start with one of two things:

> 1)  PostgreSQL to Oracle database conversion utilities released by
> Oracle (unlikely given extensible languages in PostgreSQL).
> 2)  Some sort of FUD campaign on the part of Oracle directed
> specifically at us and not tied to any specific project (fairly likely).

Well, #1 would require quite a nontrivial investment of time by Oracle
(I doubt they'd even think about offering ports of any PL other than
plpgsql, and still it'd be a major project).  #2 only requires inventing
some plausible lies.  So you can bet we'll see #2 long before #1.

As Andrew noted, we've already heard plenty of FUD from Oracle.  What
we've not seen is a FUD campaign based on serious study of our
weaknesses --- they've only bothered to muster transparent attacks on
"open source DBs" in general.  My prediction is that the next step will
be FUD that's really designed specifically against Postgres.