Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Andy Shellam <andy-lists(at)networkmail(dot)eu>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable
Date: 2009-06-16 17:07:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?= <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org> writes:
> Anyway, we are talking about an issue which should never ever happen, if
> docs were read. I announced -devel RPMs lots of times, and each one
> included a notice for dump/reload action.

I think the real issue here is that the OP was confused about whether
the devel RPMs represented a playpen or something that could be used for
production data.  It's hard to say whether we didn't convey that message
clearly enough, or he failed to pay enough attention, but probably some
blame can be assigned on both sides of that.