Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 22:11:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> *If* June 1st comes along, and Win32 isn't ready, there is nothing wrong
> with freezing the code *except* for a pending Win32 patch ...

Yeah there is ...

In the first place it's unfair to other developers to make schedule
slips at the last moment, and especially to *plan* to do so.  I would
prefer we determine at least two weeks, preferably a month, in advance
whether there is going to be a schedule change.  I think it's entirely
appropriate to decide now whether we are going to hold to June 1 feature
freeze or slip it.  That gives other people a chance to do useful work
while we approach the deadline.

In the second, any Win32 issues that remain unresolved as of June 1
are likely to be major enough (in terms of code impact) that we can't
realistically contemplate slipping in post-beta patches for them.
The fallback position is going to have to be no (supported) Win32 port
in 7.5, not "we'll fix this in beta".