Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

From: Divakar Singh <dpsmails(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Date: 2010-10-27 18:14:30
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-performance
yes this is a very clearly visible problem.
The difference b/w oracle and PG increases with more rows.
when oracle takes 3 GB, PG takes around 6 GB.
I only use varchar.
I will try to use your tips on "smart table layout, toast compression".
Assuming these suggested options do not have any performance penalty?

 Best Regards,
Divakar