Re: column level privilages error

From: "bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl" <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>
To: guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: column level privilages error
Date: 2012-01-30 21:19:28
Lists: pgadmin-support

You handle it somehow for tables (there is no privilage tab in table properies when You cannot change privilages). I suppose it is done based on ACL for table.
This behaviour is not symmetric - works on tables and does not work on columns. It leads to misunderstandings, just like in my case. I was sure privilages has been granted (no error/warning message has been displayed).
I also think it is possible to recognize user ability to change column level privilages based on ACL (WITH GRANT - signed as star in ACL).
If the user has privilages WITH GRANT OPTION, eg.
GRANT UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE, REFERENCES, TRIGGER ON TABLE public."tblTest" TO user;
GRANT SELECT ON TABLE public."tblTest" TO user WITH GRANT OPTION;
he is allowed to grant select on columns of this table for another user. Interesting thing is that, when You (as "user" from my example) try to execute:
GRANT ALL ("Column1") ON public."tblTest" TO public;
then only SELECT privilage on "Column1" is granted - as it is expected based on "user" privilages.
BTW PostgreSQL generates NOTICE for auto creation of sequence for pseudo-type serial not WARNING, so maybe it is good idea to treat WARNINGS in the same way as ERRORS?
Hope You will find elegant solution.
Regards,
Bartek