Re: WARNING: owner of type appears to be invalid?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc Sherman" <msherman(at)projectile(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: WARNING: owner of type appears to be invalid?
Date: 2001-05-23 20:16:29
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Marc Sherman" <msherman(at)projectile(dot)ca> writes:
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us]
>> Sounds like you have no pg_shadow entry for the postgres user.

> No, that's not it:

> template1=# select * from pg_shadow;
>  usename  | usesysid | usecreatedb | usetrace | usesuper | usecatupd |
> passwd | valuntil
> ----------+----------+-------------+----------+----------+-----------+------
> --+----------
>  postgres |       31 | t           | t        | t        | t         |
> |
>  msherman |     1000 | t           | f        | f        | f         |
> |
>  www-data |       33 | f           | f        | f        | f         |
> |
> (3 rows)

> This is strange, though -- the problem types have typowner set
> to 103 in pg_type, which is clearly invalid.  103 happens to be
> the Linux user ID (in passwd) for the postgres user.  Strange.

> I suspect this may be a problem with the Debian install scripts;
> Debian is forcing postgres' user id to be 31 in the db, since it
> used to use a reserved user id for postgres in the os.

Either that or a bug in initdb: it *should* substitute the same ID into
postgres' pg_shadow entry as it does into the owner columns of the
template1 system catalogs.  Maybe it's getting confused.  Oliver,
any thoughts?

> Is it enough for me to log on to each of my databases as user
> postgres, and execute the query "update pg_type set typowner=31
> where typowner=103;" to fix this problem?  Are there any other
> hidden databases I should fix besides template1?

Aside from pg_type, you probably have bogus values in the owner columns
for pg_class, pg_function, pg_operator, etc etc.  It'd be a lot easier
to create another user with sysid = 103 ...