Re: Strange aggregate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Strange aggregate
Date: 2003-03-24 17:23:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
> Is there possibility to write aggregate returns setof value?

Not with the present implementation.

I suppose we could think about postponing the call to the finalfunction
so that it's executed by execQual.c while evaluating an Agg node's
output tlist, and then something like that could work. But I'm not sure
we really want to go that way. Set-returning functions in targetlists
are a mess that we should try to get rid of, not enhance.

Can you think of a plausible syntax for an aggregate as a table function
(ie, in a FROM item, instead of a target list)?