Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database

From: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-testers <pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database
Date: 2010-05-02 22:59:35
Lists: pgsql-testers

[TEST REPORT]

[Release]: 8.5alpha2

[Test Type]: psql CLI

[Test]: Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database

[Platform]: Solaris SPARC 4u (E450)

[Parameters]: Trying to GRANT privileges on a newly-created database. db name in lower case.

[Failure]: yes

[Results]:

# CREATE DATABASE dbname;

# GRANT ALL ON dbname TO role;

ERROR: relation "dbname" does not exist

Please note this database is created in lower case; it has not been renamed from upper.

# GRANT ALL ON dbname TO role; - produces the same error.

[Comments]: We've seen that users have this problem with mixed-case object names, and must use quotes. Our example names have always been in lowercase - have not bee rename, and we've tried commands both without tnd with quotes! Have we somehow corrupted this cluster? Am seeing other strange behavior related to simple commands.

pgsql-testers by date

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2010-05-03 02:00:33
Previous:From: Lou PiccianoDate: 2010-05-02 22:54:53
Subject: ERROR: unexpected classid 3600