Re: Simple thing to make pg_autovacuum more useful

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple thing to make pg_autovacuum more useful
Date: 2008-01-17 23:57:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You are offering what appears to be a "solution". A perfectly valid one
> in fact. Which one is going to get done first? Which one is going to
> provide immediate benefit?

The problem is that your "immediate benefit" is to encourage people
to do direct manual insertions into pg_autovacuum, which is something
that we shouldn't be encouraging, because it's not the correct long-term
solution. Or even short-term --- it seems reasonably likely to me that
something could be done about building a decent API in the 8.4 cycle,
which is the soonest we could entertain a proposal to put defaults on
pg_autovacuum anyway.