Re: Problems with authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Orlando Eloy Gentil <gentil(at)cdludi(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with authentication
Date: 2001-01-17 16:05:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Orlando Eloy Gentil <gentil(at)cdludi(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> After this when I try to use "psql -u -d postgres" or "psql -u",
> it
> says that connection to database failed and failed authentication.
> My Postmaster starts OK with -S -i -p 5432....
> What can be happening?

Can't tell from that much info. The postmaster's log output might tell
more about why it's refusing the connection. Right now you are sending
that log to the bit bucket, however :-(. Restart the postmaster
*without* -S, and with output redirection, eg
postmaster -i -p 5432 ... >/path/to/handy/logfile 2>&1 &
and then see what it puts in the logfile when you try to connect.

BTW, you do not need to restart the postmaster after changing
pg_hba.conf.