Re: Strange issue with vacuum and temp tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange issue with vacuum and temp tables
Date: 2008-03-29 00:26:46
Lists: pgsql-admin
Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com> writes:
> A look at the code revealed that the temp tables were created via normal
> methods, so I'm curious to know if there is a bug regarding temp tables not
> going away on Postgresql-8.2.x after the connection is closed?

You aren't the first to report such a thing, but nobody has the foggiest
idea how it could happen short of a backend crash.  Have they had any
crashes lately (or more specifically, around the mod times of those
files, if you checked them)?

Also, were the pg_temp schemas you zapped particularly high-numbered?
Low-numbered ones would get cleaned out on the next use, but if the
crash happened at a peak in the number of active backends it's easy
to believe the files might hang around for awhile.