Re: ALTER command reworks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER command reworks
Date: 2013-01-07 21:06:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I checked this patch.  It needed a rebase for the changes to return
>> OIDs.  Attached patch applies to current HEAD.  In general this looks
>> good, with one exception: it's using getObjectDescriptionOids() to build
>> the messages to complain in case the object already exists in the
>> current schema, which results in diffs like this:
>> -ERROR:  event trigger "regress_event_trigger2" already exists
>> +ERROR:  event trigger regress_event_trigger2 already exists
>> I don't know how tense we are about keeping the quotes, but I fear there
>> would be complaints because it took us lots of sweat, blood and tears to
>> get where we are now.
>> If this is considered a problem, I think the way to fix it is to have a
>> getObjectDescriptionOids() variant that quotes the object name in the
>> output.

> This sort of thing has been rejected repeatedly in the past on
> translation grounds:

Yes.  I'm surprised Alvaro isn't well aware of the rules against trying
to build error messages out of sentence fragments: see first item under

Presence or absence of quotes is the very least of this code's i18n

If we had no other choice, we might consider a workaround such as that
suggested in "Assembling Error Messages"
but frankly I'm not convinced that this patch is attractive enough to
justify a degradation in message readability.