Re: DDBMS with postgresql.

From: Serge <sogono(at)voila(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DDBMS with postgresql.
Date: 2011-03-08 22:41:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:11:59AM +0100, sogono(at)voila(dot)fr wrote:
> > I am looking for a solution to deal with a distributed database, using
> > postgresql. (I know it can be done with Oracle, but the idea is to use an
> > open/free alternative).
>
> Could you describe in greater detail what you're looking for? What does
> "distributed" mean to you?
>
> --
> Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
> End Point Corporation
> http://www.endpoint.com

Hi,

What I mean is that a same database (or just some tables) is "cut" into parts, and each of those parts are located in different places.

For instance, a table TestTable(id int8 not null, first varchar(10), second varchar(15), primary key(id)) exists on site A and on site B.
Rows are inserted into site A table; different rows are inserted into site B table.
When a query is done on that table from one of those sites (like "select * from TestTable;"), the result is the list of all rows from TestTable of site A together with all rows from TestTable of site B, as if it was a single local table.

Another example is that a table TestTable exists on site A, a table OtherTable exists on site B, and relationship exists between those tables via, let's say, foreign key. Local queries using both tables should be possible.

This explanation may not be very clear, please tell me if that is the case.

Suivez toute l'actualité en photos de l'émission Danse avec les stars et retrouvez les dernières dépêches sur : http://people.voila.fr/evenementiel/danse-avec-les-stars/danse-avec-les-stars-en-photos/