Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks

From: Ron Peacetree <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: Yves Vindevogel <yves(dot)vindevogel(at)implements(dot)be>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some help on buffers and other performance tricks
Date: 2005-11-09 21:24:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
0= Optimize your schema to be a tight as possible.  Your goal is to give yourself the maximum chance that everything you want to work on is in RAM when you need it.
1= Upgrade your RAM to as much as you can possibly strain to afford.  4GB at least.  It's that important.
2= If the _entire_ DB does not fit in RAM after upgrading your RAM, the next step is making sure your HD IO subsystem is adequate to your needs.
3= Read the various pg tuning docs that are available and Do The Right Thing.
4= If performance is still not acceptable, then it's time to drill down into what specific actions/queries are problems.
If you get to here and the entire DBMS is still not close to acceptable, your fundamental assumptions have to be re-examined.

Ron