Re: #include oddity in v7.0b3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Didier Verna <didier(at)xemacs(dot)org>
Cc: bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, XEmacs beta testers <xemacs-beta(at)xemacs(dot)org>, Oliver Elphick <Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: #include oddity in v7.0b3
Date: 2000-04-10 17:45:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Didier Verna <didier(at)xemacs(dot)org> writes:
> The file `libpq-fe.h' #include's the file `postgres_ext.h' using <>
> instead of "" (line 27). As a consequence, applications that just do:
> | #include <full/path/to/libpq-fe.h>

> can't build anymore because the file `postgres_ext.h' is not in the path.

> What do you think ? Was this change intentional ?

It was. Someone else complained that the other way didn't work for them.
At least from the point of libpq, I think they were right.

Offhand, if you do not put -I into your compile switches, I'd be
somewhat surprised that either way would work for you. Certainly
hardcoding a full path into application source code is a completely
unportable way to do things...